Alcohol Poisoning: Cause, Symptom, and Action

Alcohol poisoning is a very serious, and potentially deadly, result of drinking too much. Over-drinking in a short time span can really lead to some dangerous risks to your health. Therefore, it’s important to know why you need to watch your intake…

Alcohol Poisoning: Know The Risks

Causes

Alcohol poisoning occurs when you drink too much in a short time frame. On average, it takes your body 1 hour to fully break down a standard drink. However, quickly drinking a lot of alcohol means your body will be breaking down a lot of drinks. That means you’ll suddenly have large amounts of alcohol in your system.

Having too much will cross you over from being just drunk, to being poisoned. The most common cause of this happening these days is binge drinking. As people, many of them young, drink excessively at say parties or events, they end up with way to much alcohol in their systems. This leads to them experiencing poisoning-related symptoms.

Symptoms

The symptoms of alcohol poisoning can be deceptive. This is just another reason why it’s so dangerous. Many times, a lot of these symptoms mirror those of when someone’s drunk. They might slur their words, throw up, and fall asleep, much like someone who is drunk.

However, poisoning is much more dangerous. Some of the most symptoms also include passing out, seizures, irregular breathing, low body temperatures, and bluing of the skin. These are sure-fire signs that someone is experiencing alcohol poisoning.

What to do

If someone looks like they’re experiencing alcohol poisoning, then it’s important to call for help ASAP. Be sure to call 911, so they can receive medical treatment to get the alcohol out of their system. In the meantime, be sure to help them out. Keep them awake, don’t leave them alone, and help them stay upright if they’re vomiting.

In order to avoid poisoning, the best thing to do is watch your drink intake. Keep yourself to one drink per hour, and be sure to drink plenty of water as well. That way, your body will be able to handle your drinking without it becoming dangerous.